My mom has always made Tomato Soup Cake for as long as I can remember. When we were little she would tell us it was spice cake for fear that we wouldn’t eat it if we knew it had tomato soup in it. Tomato soup or not, this cake recipe is so moist and delicious once you start eating it you just can’t stop. I took her favorite recipe and turned it into pretty little cupcakes! I thought that a the red cup cake with cream cheese buttercream and chocolate heart adornment would be perfect for a valentines day celebration.
Tomato Soup Cupcakes(or cake)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp clove
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can tomato soup(10 3/4 ounces)
- 2 large egg whites(or applesauce)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F spray a 13 in. by 9 in. pan or line a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking power, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In a large bowl or mixer mix sugar and oil on high until incorporated. scrap sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. add egg whites. alternate adding the tomato soup and dry ingredients until fully combined. pour into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes for a cake and 20-25 minutes for cupcakes.
- 4 oz cream cheese at room temp
- 1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) butter at room temp
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar
- Place the cream cheese in the bowl of your mixer. Beat on medium-high until completely smooth, 3-4 minutes. Add the butter and continue to cream until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract. Slowly add powdered sugar (1/4 cup at a time) until desired consistency is reached.