This recipe is for a super simple delicious key lime pie!
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (12 to 15 key limes or one key lime juice in a bottle)
- 4 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 4 egg yolks, 4 egg whites
- 1 – 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 11 graham crackers
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
HOW TO MAKE AT HOME
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pulse graham crackers in a food processor or break them tills fine.
- Melt butter and mix with the graham crackers along with 3 tbs sugar
- Pour this mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and press over the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Bake on the center rack for about 10 minutes until the crust is lightly brown, remove and let cool to room temperature.
- Whisk the egg yolks and lime zest together in a bowl until tinted light green. This takes about 2 minutes
- Beat in milk, then juice and set aside at room temperature till it thickens.
- Pour the lime filling into crust, spread evenly, and then bake for 15 minutes until the center sets, but still wiggles when shaken.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Whisk egg whites with a mixer till stiff peaks form add about 1 tbs sugar to eggs as peaks begin to form
- top pie with egg whites and put under broiler till golden brown