My friend Kim and I decided that we were going to go for a bike ride on our shortened vacation. The actually biking part lasted less then 15 minutes our day turned into taking pictures and making/eating way too much. We made a delicious knock-off version of California Pizza Kitchen’s chicken tequila fettuccine and madeleines. The pasta was delicious however I forgot to take a picture because I was really hungry after our almost nonexistent bike ride. I do however have a few pictures of the madeleines we made along with the simple and yummy recipe!
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). spray madeleine molds; set aside.
- Melt butter and let cool to room temperature.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs, vanilla and salt at high speed until light.
- Beating constantly, gradually add sugar; and continue beating at high speed until mixture is thick and pale and ribbons form in bowl when beaters are lifted, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sift flour into egg mixture 1/3 at a time, gently folding after each addition.
- Add lemon zest and pour melted butter around edge of batter. Quickly but gently fold butter into batter. Spoon batter into molds; it will mound slightly above tops.
- Bake about 10 minutes, or until cakes are golden and the tops spring back when gently pressed with your fingertip.
- Use the tip of the knife to loosen madeleines from pan; invert onto rack.
- Variation: Chocolate Madeleines: Omit lemon zest. Increase sugar to 1/2 cup. Substitute 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for 2 tablespoons of the flour; sift into batter with flour.